Monday, May 26, 2014

"High on a Hill was a Lonely Goater"

Sister Ott, Sister Hemming, and Sister Poklinkowska
May 26th, 2014

Hello my lovely little family!
I just had this song in my head today:) I always anticipated that Poland would be something like the Sound of Music, and it is ... in the country, but I love it in the city just the same.
This was a wonderful week. It was SO hot. Yep. It's summer. And I bought 2 kilos of strawberries for a snack this week! Yay!!!!
This week we began with some great lessons and a wonderful P-day. I really love to enjoy the culture of Poland, even when we're talking with people on the street I can look at the lovely architecture and the classy people and feel so grateful that I am a servant of the Lord in such a wonderful country. Sis. Poklikowska was sick this week and so we stayed in for a couple of days. I have to admit that at first I kind of had a freak out. I made some calls, area book work, and then I cleaned the house. Then I didn't know what to do with myself. It made me realize how much time I wasted before my mission. So... I painted:) Yep. It was wonderful. I feel likeit was lovely to paint a picture of the temple and I felt so relaxed and myself. I love that the Lord gave us talents and even blesses us to use them for His work:) I think I'll give the painting to someone.
Unfortunately this week our lovely little Elżbieta kind of fell off the face of the planet. But I really am learning how to just take heart and continue seeking the " elect who hear His voice". I am confident that those who don't hear His voice are also elect, but the timing isn't right for them at the moment.
MTC district reunited!!
Speaking of becoming a more Christlike missionary;) we had MLC this week and I felt so uplifted from this! I especially loved to see all of my wonderful mission friends there. There were six  missionaries from our MTC group there! Elders Hardy, Swicegood and Pieper, Myself, Sis. Ott( love her!) and Sister Petherbridge. Most of them I haven't seen my whole mission. It was such a delight to see them grow and become leaders and strong people. I sure love them. We talked about contacting with baptism again. I am still learning how to better do that but I think it gets better every week. We are striving to focus the contacts less on just the event of baptism and more on the "coming unto Christ" part of it all. I feel so empowered and strengthened by this. A bold missionary who can testify of the powers of the Atonement and the Savior of the world.
One thing I've been thinking about lately is that I am still learning so many of these gospel principles myself. I learned that a good missionary is one who is engaged. Engaged in the work, in the people's lives, and more importantly is willing to give of themselves. I have determined to share what I'm learning with those around me. For instance, I am learning that the Atonement is for those who are imperfect, not just to wipe their slates clean, but more importantly to build on that slate a beautiful masterpiece, one that blesses other's lives. This is a wonderful blessing for me. I think it takes me here to Poland. Me, Ali Hemming;) I am determined to have been ALL IN during my mission. Not just fillling missionary shoes, but making it a part of MY eternities. By blessing other's lives and sharing of who I am. I have never fully understood this on my mission, but I am glad I'm learning it now.
Also... this week we met and started teaching a FAMILY! I have prayed for this my whole mission!!!! THey are so wonderful. THey have two sons who are young( preisthoooooood!!!!!!!!!) And I am so grateful. They are średnio wierzęci and I sure do love them. We can't wait to have a follow up lesson this week. Pray for them!
 I had a pretty hard day yesterday in terms of anxiety.  One of the blessings of this trial is that I really can bless other's lives, that's really all I want to do. I have taken alot of examples of strong and powerful women from around me. Emma Smith, Grandma Mary and Lois, Stephanie Clark Nelson, Sis. Edgren, My Mom, Elizabeth Steele, and Aunt Cami. As I have thought about my hard times and struggled and wondered if this will ever really go away, I have been led to see what good the Lord can make of this. I understand others better, and I can be a force for good. Blessing the lives of many women with the knowledge I am gaining and have gained. It meant a lot to me as I had a hard day. I fasted and felt strengthened and a vision ( not literally;) was given me of who I can become and what kind of a servant I can be if I " endure it well". I know this is true. I am certain that my Heavenly Father answers prayers. I know that the Savior understands our pains and our emotions and our lives. I know this is true for all mankind. The enabling power of the atonement is just for that. I am certain that it also has worked in the lives of many not of our faith. Oskar Schindler, and many of the people who were part of the Warsaw Uprising. What a wonderful message!
Package from home....wonderful!
Sis. Owen is going to Kato and Sis. Blake is coming to us! So we are going to have a wonderful companionship of Me, Sis. Poklinkowka and Sis. Blake. It's funny because I always wanted to serve with them, and now I get to:) I am a little nervous, but I am also prepared and I know it's from the Lord.
I got a package this week! Actually two. It was a blessing because I was praying that it would get here and it came on the perfect day! I got one from the Listons and my Family and one from Grandma Janice and Grandpa Lane. I am so grateful for these things and I don't think anyone but missionaries know how WONDERFUL it is to receive a little piece from home:) Thank you so much!
Well, that's all this week. I can't wait to let you know about next week:)
Much love!
Siostra Ali Hemming
 

No comments:

Post a Comment